As technology evolves, so does hair transplantation. Facial hair transplant is a medical procedure in which hair is harvested from one part of the body and translated to the face. Facial hair transplant is a treatment for hair loss or thinning and can also be done in places that haven’t grown hair before. Most people think of beards when talking about facial hair. However, it could refer to eyebrows, mustache, or sideburns. Here is a detailed explanation of the process and advantages of facial hair transplant.
Currently, there are two processes in the market for facial hair transplantation; Follicular Unit Transplant and Follicular Extraction.
Follicular Unit Transplant(FUT)
This method of transplant entails the harvesting of follicular tissue strips from the back of the head. These strips are then cut into smaller graft tissues, each with several hair follicles. This is done under a microscope. The smaller tissues are then transplanted to the target area on the face.
Follicular Unit Extraction(FUE)
This procedure applies the same principle as FUT but with a slight difference. Instead of scalp tissue, FUE transplant involves cutting individual grafts from a healthy part of the scalp. This method has gained ground over FUT since one can have a beard transplant and be back to work without experiencing much pain.
Since FUE is the favored transplant procedure, we shall focus on it for this article.
- After shaving the donor zone at the scalp’s back, the doctor removes individual hair grafts by making small needle-like holes.
- The hairs are then transferred to the recipient zone, which is in the face. This may take some time due to implanting individual hair and making sure the hair will grow in the same direction.
Benefits of Facial Hair Transplant
Facial hair transplant, especially beard transplant, comes with several benefits.
- If you are looking to hide a scar, then a facial hair transplant does the trick. A thick beard mustache can cover anything.
- It is permanent. After a procedure, you do not need to visit a doctor to get a touch-up or something of the sort.
- It improves self-esteem. This is particularly true for men with thinning facial hair or bald patches on their beards. A thicker beard is more appealing than a sparse one. Also, missing eyebrows can be an uncomfortable situation. A facial hair transplant does help with self-confidence.
- Saves money. As stated before, this is a permanent procedure, and it just takes one complete surgery, and you are well on your way to a lustrous facial hair. Unlike other hair repair processes, the one-time procedure ensures you do not have to pay over and over for little results.
- It is effective. Chances of success in facial hair transplant range from 85%-95%. These are good chances in any book. A qualified surgeon will give you the best results, so it’s best to look at the credentials first.
- Convenience. If you are looking for a simple way to get your facial hair back without having to use special oils or chemicals, then this is your best bet. With facial hair transplant, maintenance is as easy as keeping it clean and brushing. Just as any hair. You can even style it the way you please.
- Treatment takes a relatively short time. The most time you can spend on an operating chair is a few hours. You could do it within a workday, and no one will be the wiser.
- Limited risks involved. Apart from infections, a facial hair transplant has no serious risks on the recipient’s health. Even the infections can be avoided if the doctor’s recommendations are followed.
- It’s a procedure meant for all ages. It does not matter what age you are. As long as there is donor hair, you can have the facial mane of your dreams. Other processes usually come with restriction but not facial hair transplant.
- It takes little time to heal. It usually takes 3-5 days to get back to your normal life after a facial hair transplant. The discomfort will have dissipated by then. This is for the FUE method. FUT surgery takes approximately 10 days for a complete recovery since the donor area needs to be stitched up.
There you have it. No matter your motive for doing it, a facial hair transplant need not be a scary option for you. From the article, it is clear to see there is nothing to be afraid of. The benefits are numerous, and the risks involved are minimal at best. Visit a reputable clinic and get a better understanding of the entire procedure. It will be easier to make a decision then.