How to Use a Singing Bowl for Healing
At a time when productivity, mindfulness, and self-love are all that people want to talk about, meditation becomes a central part of everyone’s routine. By reducing stress, increasing focus, and improving your ability to stay in the moment, meditation enables your mind and body to heal.
To enhance the effects of meditation, you can rely on a singing bowl. Let’s learn more about the same in this blog post.
How to Meditate with the Singing Bowl?
As a bell that vibrates and produces rich reverberations, singing bowls are the perfect gear for meditation. They promote relaxation by providing you a particular sound to focus on.
Often used by buddhist monks for enhancing their meditation practice, singing bowls have become a common recommendation of therapists.
Here are the benefits of using a singing bowl for meditation:
- Vibrations produced by the bowl provide a point that your mind can focus on.
- Sound created on hitting the bowl brings back the mind to the present.
- Vibrations often produce a positive effect on the mind and help you to relax better.
- Sound impacts the brain waves in a positive manner.
How to hold the singing bowl properly?
Singing bowls made of different materials need to be handled differently. While some may be on the heavier side, others may simply be so light that you’ll be able to hold them in a single hand.
Let’s look at the proper way to hold a singing bowl:
- Hold the bowl in one hand if it’s not too heavy.
- Place the bowl on the table if it’s too heavy or large
Once you’ve decided among the two options, you can follow with the steps provided below.
How to hold the singing bowl in your hand?
If you’ve a light and small singing bowl, you should follow the following tips to properly hold it in front of you:
- Hold out one hand in front of you.
- Rest the hand that you held out on your lap or a table if you find the bowl to be too heavy. Resting the hand on knees is usually recommended.
- Balance the bowl on your fingertips or on your flat palm.
- Maintain a gentle balance.
Sometimes, metal rings can interfere with the quality of sound of the singing bowl. So it is advisable to remove the ring before your meditation session begins.
How to properly place a Tibetan singing bowl on a table?
If you have a singing bowl that is on the heavier side, then place it on the table.
In this case, simply make sure that you won’t have to extend your body too far in order to use the striker. Keep the bowl as close to your body as possible to minimize the strain on your lower back.
Striking and Creating Melody from the Singing Bowl
Let’s move on to steps and tips for using the striker to create the perfect melody that enables you to focus and relax.
Light Strikes: With the striker, gently tap the bowl to generate a harmonious melody.
- Strike at the thickest part of the bowl.
- Strike with a little more force if the bowl is in your hand.
Placing Water in the Singing Bowl
To create different types of sound effects, you can try adding water to your singing bowl. Try different levels of water until the melody starts hitting the right spot.
Steps for Meditation
The melody that the bowl elicits when you strike it should be your point of focus.
Focus intently on the sound and notice how it fades away. Let all your worries fade away similarly, as you descend into a deeper state.
As you meditate, do the following:
- Strike the bowl each time the melody fades away completely.
- Feel the weight of the bown in your palm or maintain a touch with it if you’ve placed it on another surface.
- Strike the bowl one last time as you exhale and open your eyes to end the meditation.